Dr. John N. Diana, M.D.
St. Helena Coon Joint Replacement Institute Joint Replacement Specialist – Hip and Knee
SPECIALTY: Joint Replacement Specialist
MEDICAL SCHOOL: Indiana University School of Medicine
INTERNSHIP: Orthopaedic Surgery Internship, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
RESIDENCY: Orthopaedic Surgery Residency, Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
- Chief Resident of Orthopedic Surgery and recipient of the DeForest Willard Award, the highest honor that can be bestowed upon a graduate)
John N. Diana, M.D. CREDENTIALS PDF
Dr. John Diana is a leading joint replacement surgeon in the Bay area. His practice is specialized to hip and knee replacement surgeries. Dr. Diana performs over 600 joint replacement procedures annually. He teaches both anterior hip replacement techniques and MAKO robotic knee replacement procedures to surgeons throughout the country and Asia.
For the knee, Dr. Diana performs:
- Robotically-assisted total knee replacement
- Robotically-assisted partial knee replacement
- Quadriceps-sparing minimally invasive knee replacement
- Computer navigated knee replacement
- Revision knee replacement surgery
For the hip, Dr. Diana performs:
- Direct anterior hip replacement surgery
- Birmingham hip resurfacing arthroplasty
- Revision hip replacement surgery
Dr. Diana is committed to providing the highest technology available to improve outcomes for patients. He is an avid supporter of MAKO robotic knee replacement procedures and the use of robotic technology and teaches labs for surgeons to learn this technology throughout the country. Robotic technology can: enhance surgical planning, provide additional tools to assess alignment, provide quantitative information to enhance ligament balance, and reduce the incidence of soft tissue injury.
Dr. Diana has extensive experience in Direct Anterior Approach hip replacement (DAA). Having used this technique for 10 years for nearly all his hip replacement surgeries, he enjoys the advantages that anterior approach hip replacement can provide patients. Specifically, anterior approach hip replacement can:
- Allow the surgeon to take intraoperative x-rays to enhance the accuracy of position of the components
- Result in improved stability, allowing no “hip precautions” in the postoperative period commonly instituted with posterior approach replacement techniques
- Provide a muscle-sparing path to enter the hip joint without detaching any deep tendons
- Reduce time spent using assistive devices postoperatively (walker/cane)
- Eliminate the need for special items like elevated toilet seats and reaching tools postoperatively
Dr. Diana has been recognized for high quality and an exceedingly low adjusted complication rate for hip replacement in the region by the non-profit organization ProPublica. He is also listed as a “Top Doc” for 2018 in Sonoma Magazine.
The Adjusted Complication Rate Chart for hip replacements for Dr. Diana is as follows:
Dr. Diana has performed over 2500 hip replacement procedures and over 4000 knee replacement procedures. He enjoys teaching these techniques and discussing new innovations with colleagues throughout the country. He is an active member of:
- The American Academy of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS)
- The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- The Napa and Solano County Medical Society
- The USA Track and Field (USATF)
- Non-profit research for the Western States Endurance Run (Director)
Dr. Diana enjoys spending time with his family. He enjoys travelling and has performed volunteer medical services in both Guatemala and Kenya. He enjoys long distance running and has completed both the Western States 100 mile endurance run, the San Diego 100 mile endurance run, and both the CCC and TDS UTMB ultra-marathon races in Chamonix, France. He has also completed the Napa Valley Marathon, the California International Marathon, and the Chicago Marathon on more than one occasion.
Dr. Diana & Napa Valley Joint Replacement Center
Learn more about Dr. Diana and his work with Napa Valley Joint Replacement Center.